magellan roadmate 360 GPS navigation system review

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Update on things I have missed in my review below

I am adding this information for folks who would like to compare this to higher priced models of Magellan Roadmate.

  1. Magellan Roadmate 360 has voice alerts. ( It does not have voice command like some of the built-in systems have)
  2. It has a touch-screen interface handy when you need to interact.
  3. The Points of Interest database is limited. It does seem to have all major stuff (like Malls, attractions up-to-date) but is not a comprehensive list for everything else. I tried looking up the nearest Costco from my home but it was not able to find. It was able to find nearest Albertsons.
  4. The update capability for Magellan Roadmate 360 only seems to be at the firmware level. I cannot tell whether that includes the database in the map.

1 Comments:

  • It seems to refer to the map as well. I plugged the device directly into my Mac and browsed it as a drive, and there is map data (admittedly opaque) as well as firmware information.

    Too bad there are no updates yet. Based on my touring in So Cal I figure the information is approximately 8-10 months old, as there are some new road constructions that are not yet in the database.

    This summer I will be taking it on a 7500+ mile road trek, so this ought to be a good stress test.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home